So Basically:

My photo
Im a mild-mannered, slightly-silly people person who doesn't understand what a people person is.

Monday 8 August 2011

Who are these people?

Rioting? Really?


Three or so days ago i read an article in a newspaper about a man who got shot by an armed police officer. This article was particularly unusual because i didn't quite understand the angle of the piece. It seemed very grey and i was unable to see quite who was right or wrong.

Apparently, a man who had suggestive connections to a Jamaican gang in London was getting in a taxi. He got followed by the police because it was known to them that he was highly regarded in the gang. Then nothing was reported. Then i read that there was a bullet in the radio of an armed police officer (the radio saved his life too, apparently). The armed police officer then retaliated and returned fire which resulted in the death of this man. A man whose wife and five children denied knowledge of him being any part of a Jamaican gang.

I don't know the full details of the whole shooting because I read the article in the Sun and the paragraph above is the major details of what the tabloid reported. This is a problem in itself, really because i still don't know how to respond.

Yesterday I read about rioting in London so I naturally looked up the cause of it. I checked it out on the BBC news website which gives a timeline of the cause and the riot. It turns out that the rioting is retaliating against police brutality as a man had been shot by an armed police officer.
On the timeline it's reported that the police (or the IPCC) had personally offered support to the family of Mark Duggan. At the same time 300 people had gathered around Tottenham police station to demand justice for the family. I wonder if the 300 people had asked for the families permission to do this? 


Three hours later, the shit hit's the fan and things get burned, shops get looted and people get hurt. 


I support most strikes. I mean, i support people who want to strike. Im too apathetic to offer any power to the people. I try to consider issues before outwardly fighting them. Call me what you want, I do sit on the fence most of the time and that always buggs people. (Don't quite know where im going with that)

If people want to strike and voice an opinion, go ahead. Im all for it. If i wasn't too self indulgent, i'd probably join you. I just hope that whatever Im joining only VOICES (or writes) the opinion. Gather and speak. That way you'll only, at most, hinder people who are busy and want to get from A to B with a big crowd in the way.

Obviously not everyone is the same as me. The world would be boring if it was, my mother says. The cheek, eh? 


No, there are some who resort to unnecessary violence and thuggish behavior. London has it's very own riot now and people are either terrified or concerned. Or looting, apparently. I wonder if these looters actually think their contributing to the fight against police brutality. I'd say that those actions are asking for it, really, although i wouldn't like to see it. At all.

What it seems to me is that there are many people who act without thinking. There are a few people, im sure, who are doing these mindless acts to fight against police brutality. These people who don't understand that they're making it far, far worse are doing it for an arguably good cause. Their just doing it wrong.

The biggest problem is the majority of the rioters who ARE thinking. Thinking about themselves, anyway. They're just bored and causing trouble is the only cure they can think of. "I know, let's do some looting in the name of that guy". I've watched a lot of footage and i wonder if it'd be as bad on a school night and it wasn't the summer holidays. The rioters and looters seem young.

I ask these rioters what's going to happen to the busy people going from A to B? Before they were just a little obstructed. Now their lives are in danger!

I also ask; do you think the family of Mark Duggan want all this violence attributed to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment