So Basically:

My photo
Im a mild-mannered, slightly-silly people person who doesn't understand what a people person is.

Friday 22 July 2011

A new instrument for me to play.


Thanks to one of my best friends Mam, i’ve started playing the harmonica. 

I’ve always had a harmonica. It sat on my musical shelf along with two small bongo’s, an egg shaped maraca, a tin whistle, a swanee whistle, a ukulele and other smaller novelty instruments that i’ve collected and used here and there in recordings of my silly songs. 
I never put much thought to them, really. Mainly because they live in my mams house and i don’t. 
My one instrumental love is my guitar and I try to take it everywhere with me. Every weekend i took it to my friends house so i could practice and offer a backing track to our conversations. It was always a backing track for his phone conversations with his mam, too which she seemed to quickly get used to. Maybe even enjoy.
Two weekends in a row I chose not to take my guitar and she asked to speak to me on the phone and proceeded to tell me off. I explained that it was cumbersome and annoying to walk roughly a mile with before playing so i decided against it. I joked that I should bring a harmonica instead and she was happy with me again. Until next weekend. I hadn’t brought it with me so she didn’t have her weekend-harmonica-backing-tracked phone call. I had another telling off :(
Last weekend i went to my Mams for a family chat and whatnot. I was about to leave before remembering my opportunity to pick my C-harp.
Since having it on hand i’ve been playing it every now and again and i dare say im getting better. It cant hurt to have another musical instrument to play. And it’s easy to take with me. Also, if you talk through it you sound like an alien. 
So thank you Eirian (i hope i’ve spelt it right) for encouraging me to pick up another instrument to practice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment