So Basically:

My photo
Im a mild-mannered, slightly-silly people person who doesn't understand what a people person is.

Sunday 4 September 2011

And the heavens opened.

Since the first time i heard that saying as a little tyke it always confused me. 
It’s a saying to explain that it’s raining heavily. The heavens opened and lashed the earth with water. 
Have you ever looked up when it’s raining? And opened your eyes? If you did, all you’d see is clouds. That’s what confused me. It made more sense to think that the heavens were closed when it was raining, barricaded by clouds. Whatever. Im a grown up now and i get that it means that it’s raining because some wordsmith made it up before me. 
I couldn’t resist going out for a walk tonight. The rain was happily splashing against my window, whooshing past at a 45 degree angle. “Can Dafydd come out for a walk?” It beckoned. 
I love walking in the rain. Cleansing is the best word to describe it, i suppose. I like the little things it makes me do. Things like; looking up to catch it in my mouth, shaking off the goose-pimples on my back, squeezing out the water in my hair and eyebrows and making a tune in my head to the beat of my squishing trainers. (Reading back that list makes me feel like im a weirdo :)
I did all them things.
And then the heavens opened. In my childish, sensible sense of the phrase, that is. It had stopped raining for about ten minutes. My legs had worked up a nice rhythm so i didn’t stop walking. I did, however, look up with my eyes wide open.
There was one spot where the clouds opened up to show me a window to space. The only speck of space that i could see on the whole sky’s horizon. It was like a deep and wonderful lake with glistening stars on the surface, surrounded by a beach of clouds. The stars looked so much brighter than usual. I was hypnotised. I couldn’t avert my eyes from my sky-lake.
I just walked while my sense of sight, touch, respiration and hearing were deeply stimulated.
A beautiful view accompanied by the sound of a distant running river and the luxury of completely fresh air. Goose-pimples.
And then i stood in dog shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment